[PLUG] SuSE 9.3 Install - "Searching for info file..."

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 23:56:41 UTC 2005

Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> Versions are not an issue with `md5sum`. MD5 is a defined algorithm the
> only way to produce different results with the same data is to have a
> bug. In order to do the job it is supposed to do differing versions of
> `md5sum` *MUST* *NOT* produce differing results!
>
> So this leaves the question open of what is happening. The obvious one is
> that the CD wasn't quite burned within specs. Possibly a couple ones
> aren't as long as they should be, or a couple zeros are too long. One
> drive reads them as ones and the other as zeros. The upper layers of
> error correction were successful with one drive, but the error correction
> on the other drive wasn't successful (one read enough bits correctly to
> compensate). This tends to point to a marginally burned CD, some drives
> manage to read it correctly, other drives fail. This in turn means get a
> new CD (or new drive which is better with CD-Rs).

Thanks. I guess the first and easiest step is to locate some higher
quality CD-Rs and try burning again. Since K3B is just a front-end to
cdrecord, I assume that running cdrecord from the command line would not
produce a different result by itself.

IIRC the subject of quality media came up on this list in the past, so
I'll go looking in the archives for those recommendations.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/