[PLUG] SuSE 9.3 Install - "Searching for info file..."

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Jul 24 20:43:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 11:39 -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Russell Senior wrote:
>
> > Richard> Obviously, I'm grasping at straws, here. Two CD's I've gotten
> > Richard> from other sources load and install on the machine. Two CD's
> > Richard> I've downloaded and burned, load but don't install.
> >
> > How are you burning them, exactly?
>
> By using K3Bs image burning tool -- in other words, I don't know exactly
> how. But, I know that it is different from just creating a data CD. If
> you need better details of what K3B says and asks for, I'll have to
> reboot, since after the machine's been running for awhile, K3B hangs
> when it starts up.
>
> I wondered about whether the burn was accurate, which is why I was
> trying the md5sum approach to verifying the integrity. I'm puzzled by
> the different md5sum results from two separate machines, both of which
> are running the same version of SuSE, and thus, I assume, the same
> version of md5sum.

If you run md5sum more than once, do you get the same result?  If you
get differing results, you need to check your memory.
(http://www.memtest86.com/ is your friend.)  I have had this happen, so
I know it is possible.

If things are hanging after a while, it sounds like you have a heat
related hardware problem.  Check memory first, since it is easiest to
replace.  Also check that all the cables are snug.  (Sometimes the
changes in temperature will cause them to work their way out of the
socket.)  If you have diagnostics for motherboard and CPU temperatures,
check those.  Sometimes it is in the bios screen at boot or through
lm_sensors.  (lm_sensors does not always work.  Depends on if it has a
chipset that is supported.)

Also make sure that your vents and fans are not clogged with dust and/or
cat fur.

It could also be the burner flaking out.

Another thing to check for is bad capacitors.  See if any are bulging
and/or leaking.  If they are, replace the motherboard.  (Unless you are
REAL good with a soldering iron.)

That is all I can think of at the moment...