[PLUG] Sorry to hear about the bike theft, modem question...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Wed Jul 20 23:09:54 UTC 2005

I have a working vgetty and a working mgetty configuration.

I want to run vgetty by default and offer a remote control
so that a person can switch the computer to mgetty.  I'm
thinking call my number and press 1, a message from my
machine will tell you the modem is ready for data and
my machine will end that call.  If vgetty can support
menus.

The script to switch to mgetty should be triggered at this
point.  To make this robust I'm thinking, "you have to try
to call back with your computer within the next five
minutes or the modem will return to voice mode."

For those who are unfamiliar with PCC's old trail system:
you used to make a phone call and punch numbers to
enter you pin, register for classes, etc.  I will be
surprised if there's no way to do this with the
mgetty/vgetty packages.  I want to require a special
number to change the mode in addition to pressing 1.

     --  Michael C. Robinson