[PLUG] Re: Unwire Portland public meeting tomorrow

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jul 27 18:27:15 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Randall" == Randall Lucas <rlucas at tercent.com> writes:

Randall> There will definitely be politicos and commercial vendors
Randall> there.  It would be outstanding if we could get some strong
Randall> representation from the F/OSS and Linux communities there as
Randall> well.

You mean so we can be there to protest the use of public funds to
create a virtual monopoly against which private industry cannot offer
alternatives?  Cool!

No more monopolies.  Microsoft, government, anyone.  Free the
airwaves.

If the government's "net" chooses to censor connections to
"unapproved" sites or services, or implements poor intrusive web
proxying and filtering,, we'll never get a chance to have a third
party provide an alternative.  That'll suck.  And you can bet that the
right wingers will want to make sure public airwaves aren't used to
download "porn" or "abortion" information.  End of freedom.

If there is to be a citywide net, the market will provide it.  No need
to use public funds.

I presume this is why you want us there.

Or were you intending some other common voice?