[PLUG] Re: Unwire Portland public meeting tomorrow

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jul 27 19:20:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:27:15AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Randall> There will definitely be politicos and commercial vendors
> Randall> there.  It would be outstanding if we could get some strong
> Randall> representation from the F/OSS and Linux communities there as
> Randall> well.
>
> You mean so we can be there to protest the use of public funds to
> create a virtual monopoly against which private industry cannot offer
> alternatives?  Cool!

You trollin' or just freakin'?

> No more monopolies.  Microsoft, government, anyone.  Free the
> airwaves.

For WiFi, they already are free.  What's your point?

> If the government's "net" chooses to censor connections to
> "unapproved" sites or services, or implements poor intrusive web
> proxying and filtering <snip>

What part of "come and support open access" didn't you understand?

> If there is to be a citywide net, the market will provide it.  No need
> to use public funds.

AFAIK, the city wants to build a net anyway, for its own uses.  Point
of this is that if we're paying for it, we should have unfiltered access.

As for "The Market will provide", there's a PTP meeting tonight...

--
...I'd be a Libertarian, if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging
professional whiners.  -- Berkeley Breathed