[PLUG] Re: Unwire Portland public meeting tomorrow

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Jul 28 01:06:57 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> The City of Portland is going to build a city-wide wireless network of
Jeme> undetermined freedom and openness.  However this is constructed,
Jeme> private agents will still have the option of offering wireless
Jeme> services (overlapping coverage happens all the time), so the public
Jeme> service will not prohibit "better" services offered by the private
Jeme> sector.

How naive you are, sir.

The economics of providing a private net once a "free" service is
offered subsidized by public funds won't let that fly.

Imagine me trying to construct a private toll road that paralleled
Sunset Highway.  Even if I could get approval from the city, why would
people *pay* to take my road when Sunset Highway already exists?

I'd have to offer something that was *clearly* a premium, and that's
just not going to be economically feasible.

So, effectively, using tax dollars to subsidize what is likely to be
an inferior net (because along with tax dollars comes the republican
agenda) will lock out the opportunity to get a *real* net driven by
market pressures.

Hence, this is a bad idea.  *All* public-works projects for "city wide"
nets are a bad idea.  At least, in a republican-driven world.