[PLUG] Re: Unwire Portland public meeting tomorrow

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jul 28 02:13:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Ronald Chmara wrote:
> Er, so, in that case, who will take care of the design, management, and
> maintenance in that case? Instead of one private agency, scores or
> hundreds of little worker/agencies? Who will coordinate those workers'
> efforts?

Well, ideally we would have neighborhood responsibility for design and
support coordinated citywide.  That's not on anybody's agenda right now,
unfortunately.

> So, are you proposing that the City create a public, internal, bureau of
> access, and run their own IT for this project? I'm just wondering about
> your ideal vision.

As this network will service city agencies as well as the public, the city
IT staff should take on the workload in addition to their existing network
engineering and maintenance tasks.  Of course it will mean a larger staff,
but only minor incremental management increase.

I would rather see the city diverting public funds directly to projects
like the PTP Mississippi Avenue unwiring and supplying NNIs into existing
city internetworking, but the structures just aren't in place at the
moment to support community-based services.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin
     jeme at brelin.net