[PLUG] css questions

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 22:47:05 UTC 2005

I'm trying to teach myself css, in order to fiddle with gmail.
Specifically, I want to shrink the righthand sidebar (Where the 'New
Window' and 'Print' links are, and where the ads are displayed) to
give more room to display the messages.

I installed the webdeveloper extension in firefox so that I could tell
what the ids of the various pieces were, and then came up with:

/* Shrink the right-hand sidebar */
body#mail-google-com #rh { max-width: 8em !important; background: #f88
!important; }

body#mail-google-com #ap { background: #88f !important; }

/* Shrink text of ads */
body#mail-google-com #ad { font-size: x-small !important; background:
#0f0 !important; }

Coloring the different bits lets me see that, indeed, the rhs is
narrower than it used to be.  Unfortunately, it's still located in the
same position as it was, with a wide margin between its right edge and
the edge of the window.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can force it over to the right
(which I hope will let the message body expand to fill the unused
space)?

Ali