[PLUG] Directory Permissions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 29 03:43:35 UTC 2005

   If I want a directory on a web server to be invisible to the public, but
allow individuals to download files by specifying them by name, do I set the
directory permissions at 700?

   I know the read and execute bits let people list the directory contents
(which is not desired in this situation), and the write bits allow adding or
removing of files. So I'm checking.

   Perhaps the better way is to put the files in a directory on the server but
not have any links to that directory. This means users must know it's there
in order to access files in it.

   Are there simple username/passwd setups that will also control access to
directories and files that are easy to set up and for a non-techie to
maintain?

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"