[PLUG] Thinkpad T42, Debian sarge, and the MBR

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:46:43 UTC 2005

On 7/29/05, Evan Heidtmann <clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com> wrote:
> My thinkpad was delivered yesterday morning by a friendly man in a brown
> suit. I promptly installed Debian and put GRUB on the MBR. Dual boot now
> works well, but I cannot get into "IBM Rescue and Recovery" by pressing
> the "Access IBM" button during POST. Before the install, I could.

It sounds like you may have blown away the HPA partition:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/PreDesktop_Area

My guess is that the restore discs will put everything back to
out-of-the-box condition.

I put grub in the MBR on my T42 the day before yesterday, and just
popped into the bios this morning with the blue button, so that's
(probably) not the problem.

--Rogan