[PLUG] Wireless PCMCIA cards

Nick Aubert nickaubert at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 19:45:45 UTC 2005

I got a D-Link AirPlus PCMCIA card for my laptop.  This model
(DWL-G630) happens to be a rebranded Atheros, and uses the madwifi
drivers.  The madwifi drivers are developed and distributed by
Atheros.  They're proprietary.  Getting my card working with Gentoo
took a bit of effort, including recompiling the kernel with the proper
modules, etc.  Of course, Gentoo is about as far from plug-n-play as
you can get, so this isn't necessarily a strike against madwifi
itself.  Luckily it has pretty good documentation:

http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php

I haven't been able to get the card working with WPA encryption, but
it's been a while since I've tried.  I'm currently relying on
"security through obscurity" :-/  I know that other people have gotten
madwifi working with WPA, I just haven't had the time to figure out
how.  Aside from that, the card performs well.

-Nick