[PLUG] ThinkPad is Stuck at Runlevel 5 Login

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 31 22:55:28 UTC 2005

   Our ThinkPad 600E apparently shut down this morning without warning. I need
to upgrade some apps on it in any case, so I'm trying to do this.

   Running on the battery, I was returned to the login screen before I could
login and get the default desktop. However, upgrading packages is slow when
it's running on the battery so I shut it down and plugged it in. Now I'm
stuck at the KDM login screen; each attempt to log in as me or as root
returns me to that screen.

   I did not define a 'linux single' in /etc/lilo.conf, so I cannot get into
single user mode.

   Suggestions on how to figure out why it's cycling at the kdm login would be
very helpful.

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"