[PLUG] Qt Designer

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:42:27 UTC 2005

On 6/2/05, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Larry Brigman wrote:
>
> > I did some development with QT 3.2.1. The Distributions that I was
> > working with didn't seem to come with everything. I ran head long into
> > the same problem. Everything seemed to work correctly except when I went
> > and tried to follow the tutorials.
>
> Larry,
>
>   I'm glad that it's not just me or Slackware. Whew! I've had my share of
> user-induced problems over the years.
>
> > A couple of problems is that the online docs and tutorials match up with
> > the most current release. These may or may not use features that are only
> > available with the new version.
>
>   I'm running version 3.3.3; I doubt there are enough differences in 3.3.4
> to be meaningful to me. However, ...
>
> > My solution was to download a tar package from the trolltech web site and
> > build it. Once I did that, everything work including getting the tutorials
> > working. If you do build it, don't set for static libraries as some of the
> > features of the QT designer won't function correctly with the static
> > libraries.
>
>   I think that I'll do this with the 3.3.4 release. It will also give me the
> opportunity to see if checkinstall will work because it didn't when I tried
> it on slackware-10.0 with a source tarball.
>
> Many thanks,

The install is more like follow the directions in the readme and install files.
There doesn't seem to be a true install of the package.

Here is the simplified install (from memory so beware)
unpack the tar in a location that you want it.
point the necessary env-vars to that directory.
do ./configure in that dir.
do make and wait a long time ( I think it is longer than a kernel clean build)
symlink the dir into your /usr/lib dir replacing the existing qt dir.
put env-vars for the qt dir into your startup shell scripts.

For some reason I could not build all of the system as a user and have
it work (tried at least twice).  Had to build it as root.