[PLUG] UPS battery and Linux

Vincent Yau v_yau3 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:46:17 UTC 2005

Dear All:

I have a rather stupid question hopefully someone can help me.

I never own a UPS battery till just weeks ago.  I finally
got around to install it with my Linux box.  It works fine.  The UPS
is nice enough to come with Linux driver and I managed to configure
it to talk to the UPS directly via serial link and SNMP.  I tested
that my linux box is gracefully shutdown after the UPS detected that power
is lost.

I then noticed that ACPI isn't compiled into the kernel so I am in the
process
of doing so.  For now, the graceful shutdown won't bring the whole box
to power shutdown.  It will just stop at "power down" message.
So someone has to power it down and power it back up when power restores.

My question is, even with ACPI installed and the box does power down
all the way,  someone will have to still power it back up later.  It is not
obvious
to me if there is anyway the PC can power cycle itself after a power outage
is over.
Without the UPS, the BIOS can reboot the box when power is back up.  This
won't allow for a graceful shutdown but at least the box is up whenever
power is back on.

Is there anyway, with UPS connected that my Linux box can boot up by
itself when power restores?

--Vincent