[PLUG] mozilla over remote ssh connection opens local firefox window

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Jun 2 22:12:55 UTC 2005

I'm having problems trying to run mozilla on a remote Solaris 8 machine
over a forwarded X11 connection.  If firefox is already running on my local
machine and I try to run mozilla on the remote machine, another *local*
firefox window comes up.  Here's the setup and an example:

Local machine is RH9 i386 running NIS and exporting home directories
via NFS.

Remote machine is Solaris 8 sparc.  Home directories are NFS automounts
of local machine's home directories.

tinman:~$ pwd
/home/galens
tinman:~$ ssh -X wizard
Last login: Thu Jun  2 14:55:03 2005 from tinman.seitzass
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic Patch   October 2001
wizard:~$ pwd
/home/galens
wizard:~$ df|grep galens
tinman:/export/home/galens
                       5039616   4208132    575484  88% /home/galens
wizard:~$ xterm  # This works.
wizard:~$ /usr/dt/bin/mozilla &           # This works.
[1] 10867
wizard:~$ xterm &                         # This works.
[2] 10927
[1]   Done                    /usr/dt/bin/mozilla
wizard:~$ exit
logout
Connection to wizard closed.
tinman:~$ firefox &                       # Start firefox on local system.
[1] 17954
tinman:~$ ssh -X wizard
Last login: Thu Jun  2 14:57:13 2005 from tinman.seitzass
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic Patch   October 2001
wizard:~$ /usr/dt/bin/mozilla &           # THIS OPENS A LOCAL FIREFOX WINDOW.
[1] 11000

If I were just browsing the Web, this would be fine, but I need to view
files which are only accessible to the remote machine.  What is the
correct way to do this?  I assume this is happening because of my
home directory automount.

thanks,
galen