[PLUG] mozilla over remote ssh connection opens local firefox window

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Thu Jun 2 23:05:21 UTC 2005

Galen Seitz (galens at seitzassoc.com) typed this ...

> I'm having problems trying to run mozilla on a remote Solaris 8 machine
> over a forwarded X11 connection.  If firefox is already running on my local
> machine and I try to run mozilla on the remote machine, another *local*
> firefox window comes up.  Here's the setup and an example:

Running X over an SSH tunnel is painful. What I do is run tinyproxy on
the remote server, then set up a tunnel to the machine running
tinyproxy. The browser runs on your local machine and has access to the
resources on the remote network over a secure connection.

I'm assuming that the remote workstation is behind a firewall or at
least a NAT router. You probably don't want to be a proxy for the world.

> wizard:~$ /usr/dt/bin/mozilla &           # THIS OPENS A LOCAL FIREFOX WINDOW.

That's really odd.

> If I were just browsing the Web, this would be fine, but I need to view
> files which are only accessible to the remote machine.  What is the
> correct way to do this?  I assume this is happening because of my
> home directory automount.

You mean view local files in a browser? Or do you need to run an xterm
for some reason? The proxy trick works great if you want to view the
files in a browser.

--Kurt