[PLUG] OSS for change control

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 6 20:23:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Matt Alexander wrote:

> Our developers make changes in a development environment.  Before those
> changes are moved to production, their manager approves the change. Then
> the requested change is forwarded to the Server Admin group to implement.
> Sometimes the change is as simple as "Install this RPM" and sometimes it
> involves a lot of SQL with numerous steps done in a particular order for
> table changes, etc. We want a better way for the developer to make this
> request, for the manager to read and approve this request, and for the
> admin to then implement the request. Later on if we discover a problem with
> a system, then we'd like to search through the changes to narrow down which
> change most likely caused the new problems. Thanks,

   Well, Matt, I'm not sure that webcollab is the right tool for this, but
you've certainly explained it much more fully. Here's the URL:
                      <http://webcollab.sourceforge.net/>

and here's the overall blurb:

"A collaborative web-based system for projects and project management;
WebCollab is easy to use, and encourages users to work together. The software
is functionally elegant and secure without being cumbersome for users, or
graphically intensive.

"The software is ideally suited to tracking multiple projects and innumerable
small tasks across an organisation of any size. If you have reminder notes
stuck all over your desk, then you need WebCollab!"

   Perhaps it will work for you.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)