[PLUG] Debian 3.1 (Sarge) Released

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jun 8 01:40:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Damon Bull wrote:
> Yes, I think it does matter:

I'm surprised not to find more discussion along these lines here.

I personally don't care about "Linux desktop vendors" (whoever THEY are),
but I certainly think that this is more about getting OSX running on
everybody's home PC.  Everybody knows Apple has a better interface.
Everybody knows that Microsoft sucks ass.  And since iTunes is such a big
hit, folks are looking more and more toward Apple.  (I have thought
recently that iTunes was intentionally not rolling out an integrated video
player so that Microsoft wouldn't immediately target them as a threat.
Already, folks prefer it to Windows Media Player for their music.  It'll
be doing movies soon and then it'll be on everyone's desktop... the OS is
next.)

But they have hardware... and they have a kind of investment.  There's a
sort of religion out there where folks say, "I'm a PC guy... Macs are cool
and all, but too sleek and hermetic."

I think they're pretending this is about changing chipsets and it's really
about taking down Microsoft.

I don't really like the idea of one piece of proprietary software
replacing another, but at least it's unix and has a chance of being
useful!

Cheap hardware and OSX is probably exactly what Microsoft fears most.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin
     jeme at brelin.net