[PLUG] case-sensitive cvs on Mac OS X

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 10 21:16:37 UTC 2005

Here's an obscure one I figured I ought to post for Google's sake:

Macintoshes historically have had case-insensitive filesystems. That
remains the default with OS X, but you can create case-sensitive
filesystems, if you so choose. (The Mac mailing lists are full of funny
posts asking why anyone would case about case sensitivity. Well, they're
funny to me anyway. :-)

Our main file server at work is an Xserve; the system disk is formatted
in normal Mac fashion, but the export volume is case-sensitive. So, if
you login to that box, $HOME is case-sensitive, but /var/tmp is not.

Local requirements recently led me to compile and install a newer
version of cvs than ships with 10.3.9. Lacking any firm direction in the
matter, the cvs configure script automagically decides whether or not to
build a case-sensitive binary based on the build-time filesystem. I
built cvs in /var/tmp, so the binary was case-insensitive, but the
repository is on the exported, case-sensitive filesystem. Oy!

The bottom line: When building cvs on OS X systems, make sure you know
which sort of filesystem will be holding your repositories. Either build
it on the target filesystem or make sure you know whether to pass the
--enable-case-sensitivity (or --disable-case-sensitivity) option to the
configure script.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com