[PLUG] Ubuntu Dumb Newbie Questions

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 00:02:34 UTC 2005

OK, making progress here, but strange things lead me to some
questions.

I installed Ubuntu 64-bit from the DVD ISO that I downloaded and
burned. This is the bazillionth time I have installed Linux,but hey!
It's all a learning process, right? So normally an installation utility
asks for a root password and then asks if I want to set up a user
and the user's password. Ubuntu asked for the user, but I swear I
never saw anything where I was supposed to set up a password for
root.

Earlier today I tried to switch to KDE and be root. I entered "root"
as username and the password I use for root, but it wouldn't take it.
Retyped several times, but no go.

So just now, in an attempt to figure out how to get my printer
working, I gave up on the non-existent help on my computer and
decided to look on the net. I got Firefox up and decided to do some
configuring first, like I wanted to tell it to use tabs. I clicked on Edit
> Preferences and got an error message that says (in part)
"root.disabled = "true".

Is it possible I have installed Linux without creating a root account?
If so, is there a fix outside of trashing it and reinstalling?