[PLUG] printer preference?

Tony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 06:09:29 UTC 2005

On Sunday 12 June 2005 09:39, Michael D. Harris wrote:
> Okay, I am at the point where I would like to use a printer with Linux.  I
> have not done this yet and would like to make it as simple as possible.
> So, what printers do you use?  Do you have a favorite that was easy to set
> up?
>
> Mike

I've used several different HP Laserjet printers with Linux over the years. I
still have a HP 4P that I've had for nearly 11 years and it still works great
other than it prints 4 pages per minute. I also have a newer HP1300 that also
works fine with Linux. Supports both PCL and Postscript and with modern Linux
distros using CUPS it's pretty easy to get a printer working with Linux.

I've for my old 4P on a parallel port and my newer HP1300 is on the network
using a little network print server box from Hawking Technology that allows
me to share the printer on a network. I went barebones on the 1300 and got it
in a non-network configuration and so it only has parallel port or USB
available for a connection. My network print server channels the network data
into a USB port for the printer. There are also parallel port versions of the
printer server as well.

When looking for a printer you might want to checkout the Linux printer page
at: http://www.linuxprinting.org. There's good information available on the
site about wheather a particular model of printer is support under Linux.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at comcast.net