Resolved: [PLUG] How to start a Java program from the KDE desktop

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Jun 16 21:49:47 UTC 2005

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

>The only way I knew to run the application was to right click on it and "open
>with"... so, no, I haven't run it from a terminal window. Your instructions
>would have been perfect, if I knew where my java binary was. I took a guess
>that ps ax would tell me and found that it did. I started the program the way
>I've done it in the past and then ran ps ax. It returned, among other things:
>
>/usr/lib/SunJava2-1.4/jre/bin/java
>-jar /home/rsteff/ArtOfIllusion/ArtOfIllusion2.0/ArtOfIllusion.jar

For future reference many distributions come with "locate".  So the command

#locate java

Will return things with java in the name.

That's a lot of things with java in the name...

A little more selective...

#locate -r java$

does a regex search for things that end in java.

Much better.

If your system doesn't have locate (or rather slocate) then a find,
piped to a grep will work. I use this on non-gnu systems...

#find / | grep java$

Just thought I'd pass that on, and maybe anticipate a question...

Russ