[PLUG] wmv on linux

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 00:01:20 UTC 2005

On 16 Jun 2005, at 15:15, Paul Mullen wrote:

> Have you run mplayer from a terminal window to see if it spits out any
> useful information as it fails?

No.

I know zero about programming and not very much about Linux. I
doubt I would understand a word of what it spits out anyway.

> Note that in mainstream Debian, libdvdcss is not installed by any
> official package. You have to run a script installed by the
> libdvdread3 package, which in turn will go fetch libdvdcss from some
> remote site. Read all about it:
>
>    /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/README.Debian
>
> Looks like Ubuntu takes the same approach:
>
>    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats
>
> Reference section 8, "DVD-Video".

OK, but it was listed in Synaptic, so that's how I installed it.
Synaptic lists it as "installed." Ditto for libdvdread3.

But just in case it's not really installed, I went to
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/ and found install-css.sh.
Then I tried to run it. I tried "run install-css.sh" but it didn't seem to
work. I tried double-clicking on it, but that just opened it in gedit.
Then I tried looking for help on "script" to figure out how you're
supposed to run a script. And then I noticed that somehow I had
goobered up the install-css.sh file, as it is now a zero-byte file. So
now I have to figure out how to get it back. The DVD I installed
Ubuntu from just has an ISO on it. Must be someplace on the net I
can download just the one file from. Off to google for it. :(

But I did succeed with the other issue mentioned in Section 8 -- I
changed the region setting on my DVD drive to 2 (Europe).
Previously it had no setting at all. However, the video players still
disappear as soon as they start to play a DVD -- except Totem,
which now locks up. Except it may not be locked up. The DVD
drive is running full bore and the CPU has gone to 2 GHz. Maybe
it's reading the DVD and doing something with the files on it?

I'll keep poking at this stuff. Sooner or later I'll stumble on the right
button. Thanks for the suggestions. :)