[PLUG] newbie needs help

Glenn Anderson g.c.anderson at verizon.net
Fri Jun 17 21:55:45 UTC 2005

I bought my son a new PC and decided to use his old Pentium II machine as a linux machine.    I read a couple of reviews and decided to use the Debian installation.  I installed the bf2.4 flavor, followed the instructions as best I could, went through the update process (tasksel/dconfig are not for the impatient) etc etc and finally finished only to get a 'framebuffer not found' message.  There are fb* files in my /dev directory and my graphics card is working I think- it's an ATI Xpert Pro 2000 32M AGP.  The server error log shows that the system is indeed picking up the AGP support, which killed my first assumption of what was wrong.

I'm  wondering what IS wrong and am tired of flailing around trying to troubleshoot and fix it.  Solutions or suggestions for more educated/intelligent troubleshooting are most welcome.  Information that I was too dumb to include here gladly furnished.