[PLUG] Linux Envy: Another Perspective

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jun 18 22:02:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> Yet, there is a Linux qualifier too, Debian. You most certainly do not go
> for Fedora or one of the other bleeding edge distributions.
>
> Perhaps the problem is that super bleeding edge distributions like Fedora
> are much better known. While few people mention Debian, RedHat Enterprise
> or SuSE Enterprise. They might be less sexy, but those are no less
> important than the former.

Elliott,

   What proves your point is Slackware ("the quiet distribution"). Now in its
eleventh year, Slackware is one of the old timers still in existence, and it
is far back from the bleeding edge. Patrick includes a 2.6.x kernel for those
who want it, but the 2.4.x is the default. I've had some issues with
applications after an upgrade, but not with the core utilities. It's been a
very pleasant change from my Red Hat days (which ended with 7.3). Heck, other
than security replacements, I do no distribution package upgrades from one
release to the next.

Rich (the Happy Camper)

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President