[PLUG] Linux Envy: Another Perspective

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Sun Jun 19 04:58:46 UTC 2005

Not to be pedantic, here, but you made a certain mistake four times in a
row, so you may not be aware of it:  the word "too", not "to", is used
to denote excessiveness.  Hence,

> only do what I pay for it to do - the limits are TOO
> restrictive. It is TOO hard to use - no multiple windows - slows
> down when TOO many programs run with it, spends TOO much time
> fixing itself.

. . . That's just in case you care to improve your English (which makes
it more respectable and less cumbersome to read).  No offense.

--Jason Van Cleve

P.S.  I tried to send this to you directly, but your mail server bounced
it because my IP "does not have a reverse DNS entry".

Quoth Dale F. Victor, on Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:35:34 -0700:

> Hello!
>
> I use Debian because it works. I am attempting to make money in
> a business and I chose Linux and Debian in particular because
> it has the tools that allow me to do this.
>
> Yes I have a windows machine, I use it to present information to
> people in a one-on-one session and since they use Windows I
> show them in Windows - I am doing what works!
>
> As I show people what I am doing they ask about Linux and I tell
> them what I am doing and how I do it. Here in Clatsop County
> there are not a lot of Linux users, but with a little help
> there will be more!
>  I think the people who wrote the article mentioned do not get
> the point. In my humble opinion Windows is the toy, it will
> only do what I pay for it to do - the limits are to
> restrictive. It is to hard to use - no multiple windows - slows
> down when to many programs run with it, spends to much time
> fixing itself.
>
> Dale
>

> On Saturday 18 June 2005 10:08 am, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:06:06AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > >   The Register has a very interesting article on Theo's
> > > Ballmeresque bashing of linux. Makes sense to me.
> > >
> > > <http://www.theregister.com/2005/06/17/de_raadt_channels_ba
> > >llmer/>
> >
> > Theo's not wrong, but he does miss the point.  Everyone's
> > using Linux because it works with most anything, it's easy to
> > install and it's widely available in a variety of forms.
> > Linux's loose and open development model gives someone who
> > wants to hack on it a serious chance of payoff, i.e.  getting
> > a patch accepted.
> >
> > The licensing makes a difference, too.  Linux is GPL, so
> > private companies' improvements go into the public codebase
> > and get built on, while the BSD license allows companies to
> > keep improvements private.
> >
> > Combine that with the BSDs' professional* management, and you
> > get much slower growth than Linux.  Slow growth is good IMHO,
> > but it doesn't sell consluting and hardware, which is what HP
> > and IBM want to do.
> >

> > * XFree86 has suffered from "professional" management for
> > quite a few years.  Hence the XOrg fork.

Tarred for her pleasure, gzipped for yours.