[PLUG] Debian Install

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 07:23:13 UTC 2005

> I think that I agree with you that the SATA controllers don't look like IDE
> controllers, yet I didn't see any detection for SATA drives going on during
> boot-up. OR did I miss something during bootup? Is there a Magical switch
> that I need to flag?

You can check in your BIOS, it's possible the drive has a "compatibility
mode" or some such, which would allow you to install (but probably cost
you in performance).  The drive would then show up as a PATA device
instead.  Most likely if it's a really new machine the PCI IDs for the
SATA controller aren't in the kernel yet so it won't recognize it.
2.6.8 is from last August, which is ancient in driver/hardware time.  If
you do an lspci do you get unknown devices?

Jason