[PLUG] Accessing files on a local network

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 23:57:07 UTC 2005

I have Red Hat 7.0 running on a machine with my largest hard drive. I run
Samba on it, and have been using it regularly with my Winders machines
(Win98), and can open files on it with Winders applications. I can also move
files between it and my SuSE 9.1 machine using a Samba client on the SuSE
machine.

I am trying to make a bigger break with Winders. I still need to be able to
see and edit some MS Office files kept on the RH 7 machine, but I'd also like
to be able to edit those same files using Open Office on the SuSE machine.

It appears that Open Office doesn't interact with Samba. Am I missing
something in Open Office, or do I need to set up a different network file
sharing system between the RH machine and the SuSE machine, and if so, will
it and Samba play nice together? I'm happy to read the documentation, but I
don't know what system to read about.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints avaliable at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/