[PLUG] Accessing files on a local network

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 00:25:36 UTC 2005

On 26 Jun 2005, at 16:57, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> I have Red Hat 7.0 running on a machine with my largest hard drive. I
> run Samba on it, and have been using it regularly with my Winders
> machines (Win98), and can open files on it with Winders applications.
> I can also move files between it and my SuSE 9.1 machine using a Samba
> client on the SuSE machine.
>
> I am trying to make a bigger break with Winders. I still need to be
> able to see and edit some MS Office files kept on the RH 7 machine,
> but I'd also like to be able to edit those same files using Open
> Office on the SuSE machine.
>
> It appears that Open Office doesn't interact with Samba. Am I missing
> something in Open Office, or do I need to set up a different network
> file sharing system between the RH machine and the SuSE machine, and
> if so, will it and Samba play nice together? I'm happy to read the
> documentation, but I don't know what system to read about.

I've been using OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 on my Windows machine for a
long time. So when I got my new laptop and installed Linux on it,
naturally I went for OpenOffice.org. At this time it has 1.1.3
because it is running Ubuntu and that is all Ubuntu seems to offer.
In fact, I just went through a lot of frustration trying to get the beta
of 2.0 installed, and unsuccessfully.

The reason I wanted the beta of 2.0 is that I have been given to
understand that it fixes a serious problem I am having with 1.1.3 on
the Ubuntu machine. It seems that OpenOffice.org calls your
default printer "Generic Printer," and doesn't seem to recognize
much of its features. I have a big-ass networked Laserjet 5SiMx
with all kinds of trays and options, most of which I would not be
able to use, although all my other applications on the Ubuntu
computer can print to it with the same ease that I can print to it
from applications on the Windows computer. To solve this problem,
OpenOffice.org comes with a GUI utility launched by spadmin, a
script. Unfortunately, spadmin launches for me, but the minute I
click on a button to do anything it disappears from my desktop.

Worse, I can't even print to the printer from OpenOffice.org on the
Ubuntu computer because it sends the print job into outer space
somewhere. The print job never gets to the printer. Again, no
problem printing to the printer from any other program on the
Ubuntu computer.

I wanted the beta of 2.0 because I am told that it fixes this problem
completely. In 2.0 it just uses whatever printer is defined in CUPS
and uses however it is set up there.

Now, I related this sad tale to you to point out that OpenOffice.org
on Linux does some odd things. It does not play nicely in the Linux
world. It seriously needs to work on sharing. Everyone else is
happy to use stuff that is installed on the Linux computer, but it
seems to think it needs to have its own personal version of
everything, all to itself.

So it does not surprise me that it ignores Samba. I haven't tried to
use Samba yet, as I had to give up on it for the time being. Until
2.0 comes out and there is a debian package that I can install, I'm
having to do my word processing on the Windows computer.

Just now I tried using OpenOffice.org Writer on the Ubuntu
computer to open .sxw files on the Windows share. No go. Can't
browse to it because all it sees is the Ubuntu filesystem. Then I
tried opening a Nautilus window to display the Windows share, and
then dragging and dropping the file on Writer. It showed a + in the
mouse pointer, but when I dropped it, nothing happened.

So I guess I have no solution. But you might buzz off to
openoffice.org and look through the feature list for 2.0 to see if it
will fix this problem. That may be your only hope. Unless you want
to drag the files to a folder on your Linux computer and open them
from there, then copy them back to the Windows share.

:(