[PLUG] Accessing files on a local network

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jun 27 00:54:25 UTC 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 5:36 pm, John Jordan wrote:
> The Windows share is definitely mounted on my Linux laptop. I
> opened a Nautilus browser window and there are all my files. Then I
> launched OpenOffice.org Writer. It can't see the share. It has an
> "Open file" setting under File, but not an "Open location" option.
> Nor can I drag and drop a file from the Nautilus window to the OOo
> Writer window.

Are you sure the share is mounted? Usually that is a separate step. Nautilus
lets you see the files in a Samba share without it being mounted.  Does it
appear with the ls command? If ls does not see it, it is not mounted.

Can you right-click on the file in Nautilus and do a "open with..."? (I'm not
a nautilus user)

> All other programs on the Linux machine have no problem seeing
> the share. It's just OpenOffice.org. Well, OK, some can't see it in
> their "Open file" dialog box, but I can drag and drop from a Nautilus
> window onto the application and the file opens fine.

I also use OO, and it sees Samba shares in the file open dialog if they are
actually mounted.

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail