Resolved: [PLUG] Accessing files on a local network

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 01:04:51 UTC 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 5:10 pm, Russ Johnson wrote:

> The network transport should be transparent to OO. You need to mount the
> share prior to trying to open the file, but that's pretty much
> universal. You'd have to mount an NFS share before opening the file
> there as well.

SuSE 9.1 provides desktop icons to start instances of Konqueror for local
system browsing (called My Computer) and for "Network Browsing." Using
Network browsing, I navigate to the directory containing the files on the RH
machine. I assume that this mounts that system on the SuSE machine, but OO
still does not see the network. I created a link to the directory in
question. Clicking on it in Konqueror displays the contents of the remote
directory. Clicking on the entry of the .doc file results in a dialog box
offering to open the file with OO writer. For some reason, it worked this
time. I guess I must not have followed that procedure the same way the last
time.

Thanks for the help.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints avaliable at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/