Resolved: [PLUG] Accessing files on a local network

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Jun 27 01:15:08 UTC 2005

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

>On Sunday 26 June 2005 5:10 pm, Russ Johnson wrote:
>

>>The network transport should be transparent to OO. You need to mount the
>>share prior to trying to open the file, but that's pretty much
>>universal. You'd have to mount an NFS share before opening the file
>>there as well.
>>

>SuSE 9.1 provides desktop icons to start instances of Konqueror for local
>system browsing (called My Computer) and for "Network Browsing." Using
>Network browsing, I navigate to the directory containing the files on the RH
>machine. I assume that this mounts that system on the SuSE machine, but OO
>still does not see the network.

Probably not. This would be the same as browsing the samba shares from a
Windows machine with the //machine/path/to/files path.

I'm not sure about OO, but many Linux apps do not support opening files
this way. I recall a thread on here a few weeks back regarding K3b and
opening an ISO. It didn't support file:/path/to/file conventions, and
aborted on that user.

You'll probably have to issue a smbmount or mount -t smb command to
mount the share on a mountpoint prior to trying to open the file.

>Clicking on the entry of the .doc file results in a dialog box
>offering to open the file with OO writer. For some reason, it worked this
>time. I guess I must not have followed that procedure the same way the last
>time.

That's a good sign. Maybe OO does support opening files via URI.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #18 (Collect all 25)
"The sum of the parts of the whole is due a portion of the overall sum of the portion of the parts of the individual percentage" - Unknown