[PLUG] Accessing files on a local network

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 01:16:34 UTC 2005

On 26 Jun 2005, at 17:54, Carla Schroder wrote:

> On Sunday 26 June 2005 5:36 pm, John Jordan wrote:
> > The Windows share is definitely mounted on my Linux laptop. I
> > opened a Nautilus browser window and there are all my files. Then I
> > launched OpenOffice.org Writer. It can't see the share. It has an
> > "Open file" setting under File, but not an "Open location" option.
> > Nor can I drag and drop a file from the Nautilus window to the OOo
> > Writer window.
>
> Are you sure the share is mounted? Usually that is a separate step.
> Nautilus lets you see the files in a Samba share without it being
> mounted.  Does it appear with the ls command? If ls does not see it,
> it is not mounted.
>
> Can you right-click on the file in Nautilus and do a "open with..."?
> (I'm not a nautilus user)

Yep. Also can drag and drop to the Linux machine's desktop. And
to an open window in gedit or anything else capable of opening it.
And I can right click on a file and it give me an "open with" option.

> > All other programs on the Linux machine have no problem seeing the
> > share. It's just OpenOffice.org. Well, OK, some can't see it in
> > their "Open file" dialog box, but I can drag and drop from a
> > Nautilus window onto the application and the file opens fine.

> I also use OO, and it sees Samba shares in the file open dialog if
> they are actually mounted.

Hmm. Not here. Unless the share is not really mounted. But as far
as I can tell it is. It meets your tests above.

The Windows share in question is on my Windows 2000 machine.
To see the files the first time I have to enter my username and
password for the Windows machine. Thereafter, the share is just
always there and visible.

So if my Windows share is truly mounted and OpenOffice.org can't
see it, how come your OpenOffice.org can see your network
shares? Maybe if I could get the same secret decoder ring you are
using ... :)

Bear in mind that all I know about networking is what I learned by
poking at stuff until I got it to work.