[PLUG] Ubuntu with OO 2.0 beta (Was Accessing files on a local network)

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 00:13:55 UTC 2005

On 27 Jun 2005, at 10:38, Aaron Burt wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:22:33AM -0700, William Leake wrote:
>
> > ## UBUNTU BACKPORTS -- I added these two
> > deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-backports main
> > universe multiverse restricted deb
> > http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-extras main universe
> > multiverse restricted
>
> Those are great!  Finally, I can have Firefox 1.0.4.

OK, I gave those a shot this morning when William's post first
showed up. I couldn't get them to work using Synaptic (Custom
button, which I have used without a problem before) on Ubuntu-64.
But I didn't have enough time to try to figure out why.

I got home a little bit ago and the first thing I did was try again. I
started with just the first one. And I got the same error message as
this morning --

"The repository might be no longer available or could not be
contacted because of network problems. If available an older
version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will
be ignored. Check your network connection and the correct writing
of the repository address in the preferences."

And the box below says --

"http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/dists/hoary-
extras/deb/binary-amd64/Packages.gz: 404 Not Found [IP:
70.84.217.98 80]"

And when I click on OK to proceed, Synaptic then gives me a
Warning --

"W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ubuntu-
backports.mirrormax.net hoary-extras/deb Packages
(var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net_dists_hoary-
extras_deb_binary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or
directory)"

So then I tried just the other one. This time I got a different error
message --

E: Type 'http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net' is not known on
line 28 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: Unable to lock the list directory

That error message box had only an OK button on it. When I
clicked on it Synaptic disappeared from my desktop.

So, to further see if I could figure out what was going wrong, I
opened sources.list in gedit. I was especially curious about what
was on the mysterious line 28. And when I opened it, it turns out
line 28 is the last line, the line I had just added (#2 above).

I have two theories --

1) This is 64-bit Ubuntu and those repositories have nothing for 64-
bit, or because this is a 64-bit OS, Synaptic is specifically looking
for an "amd64" folder and such does not exist in those repositories,
or

2) The two backports repositories that I have had listed for some
time are creating a conflict. They are --

deb ftp://ftp2.caliu.info/backports/ hoary-extras main universe
multiverse restricted
deb ftp://ftp2.caliu.info/backports/ hoary-backports main universe
multiverse restricted

Any ideas or suggestions?

> I just discovered the add custom repo feature in synaptic, so no more
> "sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list".
>
> With Ubuntu, I'm starting to use GUI tools when CLI tools would do.
> Good gawd, what's happening to meeee!

Yep. GUI is not just for beginners, it is usually faster, and also far
less error prone. And Synaptic is one GUI feature that is extremely
well done. Beats the hell out of YaST on Suse and similar tools on
other RPM distros. I'm becoming more and more enamoured of
debian systems the more I get into Linux.

Now, can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can
get the missing files for the latest OpenOffice.org 2.0 beta? I hate
having to write in OOo on my Linux machine and then transfer the
file to the Windows machine to print it from StarOffice/Windows. :(

Thanks in advance :)