[PLUG] server-status, server-info : where were you all my life?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 1 22:41:27 UTC 2005

A Neat Trick with Apache:  This is  helpful if you are administering
or learning about your apache server.

In your apache server control file, /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for
redhat, you will find two containers (?) that can be uncommented:
<Location /server-status> and <Location /server-info> .  You then
set the "Allow from: lines, for example:

<Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    #Allow from .example.com
    Allow from 127.0.0.1 .kl-ic.com
</Location>

Server-info is similar.  This allows me to observe the /server-status
from my server, vcolo, and from any of the machines inside my home
network kl-ic.com , like so:

httpd://vcolo/server-status/
httpd://vcolo/server-info/

The first gives me real time information on who is doing what to my
server right now, while the latter tells me how apache is configured
in enormous detail.  Wow!

You may want to set the flag  "ExtendedStatus On".

-----
Note, my system was missing a library:

 /lib/libcom_err.so.3

I copied over /usr/kerberos/lib/libcom_err.so.3.0 from another machine,
and symbolically linked it.

----
Webalizer is also handy, for longer term statistics.  See Carla's
"Linux Cookbook" for how to install that.

----

Keith