[PLUG] Restart a 'hung'(?) process

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Mar 2 00:38:28 UTC 2005

We monitor several mail spool systems using a ssh connection (from a
Windows box that runs What's up Gold using PuTTY ) and some simple shell
and perl scripts.  One thing I watching is the maillog with colorize (
perl script ).  Where this goes bad is when logrotate moves the file out
from under colorize , ie. closes the file then opens a new one with the
same name.
   I thought there was a signal that could be sent ( via. kill/killall )
that caused a process to restart.  But when I tried HUP/SIGHUP it killed
the whole process.  Something in the back brain said HUP ( hangup ) was
the ticket.  Looking in the man pages ( man 7 signal ) I find nothing I
recognize as the proper signal.
   So is there a method that will cause a process to restart?

TIA,
Rod