[PLUG] Restart a 'hung'(?) process

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Mar 2 00:56:52 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Roderick" == Roderick A Anderson <raanders at acm.org> writes:

Roderick> We monitor several mail spool systems using a ssh connection
Roderick> (from a Windows box that runs What's up Gold using PuTTY )
Roderick> and some simple shell and perl scripts.  One thing I
Roderick> watching is the maillog with colorize ( perl script ).
Roderick> Where this goes bad is when logrotate moves the file out
Roderick> from under colorize , ie. closes the file then opens a new
Roderick> one with the same name.  I thought there was a signal that
Roderick> could be sent ( via. kill/killall ) that caused a process to
Roderick> restart.  But when I tried HUP/SIGHUP it killed the whole
Roderick> process.  Something in the back brain said HUP ( hangup )
Roderick> was the ticket.  Looking in the man pages ( man 7 signal ) I
Roderick> find nothing I recognize as the proper signal.  So is there
Roderick> a method that will cause a process to restart?

Signals need the appropriate signal handler in the application
receiving them.  In your case, you want the application to close and
reopen a particular filename.  If the application doesn't provide this
signal handling, you might need to resort to the start/stop init
scripts (in Debian, they are found in /etc/init.d/).  The usual
interface with those is:

  # /etc/init.d/foo restart

where "foo" is the name of the service-start/stopping script.

Maybe that'll work for you.

seniorr at aracnet.com