[PLUG] Restart a 'hung'(?) process

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Mar 2 23:32:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> What about having your log information sent to a pipe and having the log watch
> program monitor that?

Damn I hate it when someone has to jog my memory.  I knew of this type of
process but must of had to remember something new so I did a brain flush
... :-)

> For example in /etc/syslog.conf modify like:
>   authpriv.*      /var/log/secure
>   authpriv.*      |/var/log/logpipe

Syslog will allow multiple 'log-to' lines?  Cool.  I've never seen this
mentioned.

> then have colorize monitor logpipe
>
> create logpipe with `mkfifo /var/log/logpipe`
>
> You don't fill up space with the pipe so you don't need to log rotate
> it.  The log rotation won't affect your monitoring process. No need to
> hup or whatever.
>
> Did you initially say that colorize was a Perl thing?  You could edit the code to
> install whatever signal handler you'd like...

Yup perl , but as much as I love it I'm still working at learning it
better.  I'll check out CPAN and pull the Camel from the bookshelf.  Still
I really like the pipe idea.  Seems more old-time *N*X.

Rod