[PLUG] disk under software mirror died

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Thu Mar 3 05:26:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 15:27 -0800, Mike De La Mater wrote:

> I've carefully been through the directions and set grub to boot from the
> proper image on the correct drive, but it still will not boot. fdisk
> shows the partitions as part of the RAID array, still.

Okay. This and below makes things somewhat tighter but within tolerance.

I have a (short) checklist of things to look for:

  1) Is the primary partition marked "bootable?" This usually does not
matter these days but never hurts to have it there. Use fdisk.

> I'm using knoppix to copy off the home directory to get ready to install
> new drives.

  2) Are all the partitions there with data intact? I ask as this was a
part of a RAID set. This adds a layer of variability that should be
checked.

Finally, a question: do you get to the GRUB graphical menu upon starting
our computer? If so, GRUB is configured correctly. If not, try your grub
configuration again. Remember, you want to boot to your /boot

Here's an example of my /boot/grub/grub.conf:

  # For booting Primary Desktop Computer
  title Personal Desktop Computer
   root (hd0,4)
  kernel (hd0,4)/kernel-2.6.10 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
real_root=/dev/hda1 splash=verbose hdc=scsi-cd vga=0x317 splash=verbose
video=vfb
  initrd (hd0,4)/initrd-2.6.10

   # For booting Mosix Cluster Node
   title Mosix Cluster Kernel
   root (hd0,4)
   kernel (hd0,4)/kernel-2.4.26-om1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
real_root=/dev/hda1 splash=verbose hdc=ide-cd vga=0x317
   initrd (hd0,4)/initrd-2.4.26-om1

Note that my /etc/fstab looks like this:
  /dev/hda1               /               ext2            noatime
0 0
  /dev/hda5               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime
1 1
  /dev/hda6               /var            reiserfs        noatime
0 0
  /dev/hda7               /usr            reiserfs        noatime
0 0
  /dev/hda8               /opt            reiserfs        noatime
0 0
  /dev/hda9               /home           reiserfs        noatime
0 0
  /dev/hda10              none            swap            sw
0 0
  /dev/hdb1               none            swap            sw

> Is there a way to get it to boot so I can use the RAID to copy the data
> onto the new drives?
>

>If you have access to all of your partitions this should not be
necessary. You are in "data recovery" mode. Unless you have a specific
reason for thinking for RAID it is often best left to the rebuilding
stage.

Yes, if the kernel you are booting from on the CD supports your RAID
controller (SCSI) or RAID IDE interface. Here's a link to the RAID FAQ
for help: http://www.faqs.org/contrib/linux-raid/x37.html

-Coop