[PLUG] Any FOSS packet forwarders for TCP between cellphones?

Eric House fixin at peak.org
Sun Mar 6 18:44:32 UTC 2005

My hobby project (xwords.sourceforge.net) is a game that runs on PDAs
and smartphones.  I'm working on extending multi-device play to
include TCP over cellular networks, but there's a huge problem: most
carriers configure their networks so that phones don't receive
connection attempts (or in the UDP case, packets that aren't

The obvious solution is to run a forwarding server to which all the
devices connect.  I threw one together yesterday, but I'm not a server
programmer and don't have time to become one now.  Does anybody know
of an open source product that can be configured to do this?

Alternatively, if these things exist what are they called?  Googling
for stuff like "smartphone NAT packet forward" turns up too many hits
to be useful.

Thanks,

--Eric