[PLUG] Linux Handheld (Sharp SL-6000) for sale

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Mar 8 02:56:32 UTC 2005

Mike Culbertson wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I purchased a Sharp SL-6000 a few months ago to act as my main PDA and
> the thing is just too big. It's pretty neat though. I've flashed it
> with several of the other distro's for the Zaurus and played around
> with them. It works well enough for a Linux toy, but not well enough
> to be used as my main PDA. I was thinking of putting it on eBay, but
> then I figured I'd let you guys have a crack at it first. I'd like to
> get $400 for it, but am willing to negotiate. For you guys, I'll throw
> in the 256meg CF card I bought for it, and my home made battery
> chargers. I can't find the disk that came with it, but I have all the
> manuals. I never used the disk, it only has windows sync software on it.
>
> Email me directly if you're interested. Please post any complaints to
> the list :P

I have one of those too ... I might be interested. I'd certainly like to
know what you loaded on it, where it came from, etc., and especially how
to get the screen size on the shell prompt to the point where it's
readable! When I first got it, I went web surfing, only to discover that
Sharp had de-commissioned it as a consumer product with that sort of
support, and all the hacker sites had only stuff for the 5500 or the
Japanese clamshell versions. So ... mine is idle too, although if I had
a pair of them I could at least have one virgin and one crash-and-burn,
connected by infrared. :)