[PLUG] fonts/gimp

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Wed Mar 9 19:28:04 UTC 2005

I was just reading the info for gimp (rpm -qi gimp) and I noticed that
they recommend installing a couple of packages of fonts,
ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/fonts/freefonts-0.10.tar.gz
and
ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/fonts/sharefonts-0.10.tar.gz
The README file in freefonts-0.10.tar.gz says to cd
to  /usr/X11/lib/fonts and untar.  On my Fedora 3 system, I think this
is equivalent to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, which contains a lot of
subdirs: 100dpi  75dpi  CID  OTF  Speedo  TTF  Type1  encodings  local
misc  util.  After untarring, there would be a new directory freefonts.

I'm concerned that this advice may be out of date.  Does any  gimp user
know whether installing these fonts this way works or is beneficial or
is unnecessay?
--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>