[PLUG] Sound FC3

Carlos Konstanski ckonstan at lunarlogic.com
Fri Mar 11 06:40:22 UTC 2005

Sounds like a kernel config issue.  Build a new kernel with the options
customized for your hardware.  Use lspci and cat /proc/cpuinfo to find
out what all the hardware is.

If you are running a stock distro kernel, it is sure to be bloated
beyond reason with completely unnecessary drivers.  This increases the
risk of conflicts.  It also eats up RAM for no reason (at least the
compiled-in code does).

Go to /usr/src/linux as root and run "make menuconfig", and browse
around Device Drivers -> Sound.  If it won't start, make sure your
config file (/boot/config<something>) is copied to
/usr/src/linux/.config .

Also run lsmod to see if you have any sound modules loaded.  You almost
never see stock kernels with these drivers compiled into the kernel,
therefore they would show up here.

Sometimes you'll be sure that you're tweaking the right config option,
but it won't work.  Those situations call for a bit of trial and error
with compiling the option into the bzImage vs. compiling it as a kernel
module.  Sometimes conflicts can be circumvented this way.  I had this
happen once recently - with alsa drivers!  I absolutely had to compile
my sound driver as a module.  Not my favorite setup - I like everything
that I'll ALWAYS want up and running compiled into the kernel, so I
won't be down if module loading breaks.

Throw in a knoppix disk and see if sound works when booted up under it.
Choose the 2.6 kernel at boot time by typing "knoppix26".  If
sound works under knoppix, run lsmod and compare to your FC3 list.

Adjust /etc/modules to look for the right modules to load at system init
time.  Maybe fedora has a module-management mechanism?  I don't know - I
use a well-seasoned knoppix load that's been passed around a bit.
Knoppix does have a module list management feature.  On my machine, I
would modify /etc/modules_<kernel_version> instead of the actual
/etc/modules file, because knoppix has a startup script that finds the
/etc/modules<kernel_version> variant that matches your current kernel
version, and copies that file to /etc/modules.  So /etc/modules gets
overwritten at every boot.  It goes along with their dual-kernel CDs,
where you have a choice between a 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel.  The 2 kernels
have different module requirements, and the same modules have different
names.  Anyway, be on the lookout for that kind of thing on fedira.