[PLUG] Sound FC3

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Fri Mar 11 15:02:36 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 9:27 pm, Dirk Ouellette wrote:
> Since installing Fedora Core 3, I've had no sound, yet this same box
> uses the Creative EMU 0404 and the Creative SB Live soundcards to great
> effect when I boot into the Win XP hdd on the same box. I'm using the
> ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/3/i386 release as I'm planning on some music
> editing.I've run alsaconf and Alsa sees the onboard AC 97 sound, which I
> don't care about, and it says that I've got the alsamixer set for the SB
> Live soundcard, but NO sound.
> Can someone guide me to the noise?
> Thanks

This is a known problem in FC3 with a large number (but not all) sound
chips. I can happen in FC2 as well if you upgrade to a 2.6.10 kernel.

The basic problem (at least for my chips) is that certain mixer settings
are not getting set to sensible defaults. And even if you finally get
them set correctly yourself, an actl save/restore cycle (as when rebooting)
doesn't restore them correctly.

You can usually get it to work just by finding that mystery mixer setting
that's getting in the way. For the chip on my laptop it's the mixer's DAC
switch. On my HTPC it's the input capture selector.

Terry