[PLUG] Ethernet cable test devices

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Fri Mar 11 18:14:50 UTC 2005

* Maodhog <techmage at aracnet.com> [050311 08:45]:

> I'm looking at Siemons and Fluke and a device from Trendware(?) but it's
> really just to let me know when I've screwed up building a cable(crossed
> wires or when the roll-over is wired as a cross-over). I came to this
> conclusion of need when it took me thirty tries to get one roll-over
> correctly.

I've used Fluke's "NetTool", which does a fair amount more than cable
testing.

Works great, and is extremely easy to use. Simple enough that our
internal IT helpdesk folks can use it to test connectivity, cable
distance, 10/100 f/h duplex, signal strength, crossovers, etc, on
ethernet jacks.

--Stafford