[PLUG] Slowest Full duplex 100MB in the west

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Mar 15 10:12:01 UTC 2005

Ronald Chmara wrote:
> >Errrr? What do you mean?
> >
> >>jbrelin at robot:~# ifconfig eth0
> >>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:E5:A5:34
> >>          inet addr:10.42.42.41  Bcast:10.42.42.255
> >>Mask:255.255.255.0
> >>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >>          RX packets:8794083 errors:42726 dropped:0 overruns:0
> >>frame:63831
> >------------------------------>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That's not enough to cause the level of losses you were talking
> about....

Sure it is, if the errors occured during the ftp process.
I suspect that Jeme has a switch that does auto and he has no way
to reset it.  The auto-negotiation between the switch and robot
isn't working reliably and only is a problem under heavy net load,
hence he can work fine over the Internet because the comparatively
slow Internet connection doesn't allow data transfer speeds to
trigger the problem.

Thus he needs to follow Wil's suggestion to use  mii-tool and
force the client to auto, then 100/full, then 100/half and test
the throughput under each scenario.

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity