[PLUG] Ethernet cable test devices

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:06:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:46:02 -0800, Maodhog <techmage at aracnet.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at Siemons and Fluke and a device from Trendware(?) but it's
> really just to let me know when I've screwed up building a cable(crossed
> wires or when the roll-over is wired as a cross-over). I came to this
> conclusion of need when it took me thirty tries to get one roll-over
> correctly.

If all you want to check is that your wires are straigh or crossed as
they should be, and you aren't concerned with the internal
capabilities of the strands so much you can use any hub with a uplink
port and lights.

Plug one end into the uplink and the other into a standard port, if
the lights turn on you've at least got connectivity.  Use both
standard ports for crossovers.

Obviously this isn't good enough for any serious validation of your
cables, but I'm not sure how complex you want to go.

-Rogan