[PLUG] I Want A Good Linux Software Diagramming Tool!

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Thu Mar 17 05:06:33 UTC 2005

Quoth M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, on Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:30:40 -0800:

> Someone already mentioned Poseidon, which IIRC is written in Java.

I remember this tool now.  ArgoUML with pretty widgets, basically.  It
has a free version, actually, but for noncommercial use.  This actually
looks like a good product for what it does.

> templates cost money. I've never used Kivio. And ... there's Dia. Dia

Dia's not bad either, I was running that today.  I'm not into the
Gimp-like interface, so I'm thinking ArgoUML is better for me.  I'm
looking into Kivio.

> Just in case you're interested in database modeling, Dia also has an
> add-on that does that, though I've forgotten what it's called. And

As a matter of fact, this is just my craving.  I really wanted to see
this functionality in Poseidon, but I don't see it there.  (Strange, it
sports "SQL DDL Code Generation" but doesn't seem to have any DB
modeling interface.  I do a lot of modeling, both objects and tables, so
I'll definitely seek out that add-on.  Thanks.

--Jason