[PLUG] I Want A Good Linux Software Diagramming Tool!

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Thu Mar 17 18:29:07 UTC 2005

Quoth M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, on Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:51:44 -0800:

> >Hmm, I don't find an add-on for dia that provides a database modeling
> >stencil, as it were.  Database tools written for dia seem to require
> >an overloading of the UML class and association shapes, which really
> >aren't appropriate, IMO, for that type of modeling.
> >
> I think that's in "tedia2sql". By the way, "dbdesigner" and
> "tedia2sql" are masked in Gentoo. You need to add

tedia2sql will "Convert database ERD designed in Dia into SQL DDL
scripts."  So it's yet another dia-document-to-some-other-system
converter.  Apparently it works from "ER" diagrams, which is one set of
shapes that comes with dia.  This I don't understand, for there are only
five simple shapes under the "ER" option, none of which could begin to
describe a database table.  So it eludes me what sort of DDL might be
generated from such a simple form.

Again, it seems as though dia can only model database tables as UML
classes.

--Jason V. C.

--
ZenCrafters:  total enlightenment in about an hour.