[PLUG] foomanual

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 18 03:06:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Actually, with HPs and other network printers, I've found that "raw" (TCP
> socket, port 9100) mode tends to cause problems with jobs dying halfway
> through or colliding with other jobs. But every net print device I've seen
> supports plain ol' LPR mode, printer=lp. That works nicely, with no job
> collisions or timeouts.

   I switched my HP LaserJet 5 and HP Professional Series 2500C from direct
connections to JetDirect cards. Made the changes in /etc/cups/printers.conf
and they've worked flawlessly ever since. Of course, it ain't a heavy load
here. Here's what I have specified:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.21
# Written by cupsd on Wed Jan  5 11:11:51 2005
<DefaultPrinter colorp>
Info Color InkJet 2500C
Location office
DeviceURI socket://colorp:9100